Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Pure (Pure Trilogy)

Pure - Julianna Baggott Read the full review here.Pure is such a well imagined novel that I found myself thoroughly disturbed at the Apocalypse it describes, and yet I could see similar events unfolding in the near future. The world building in the novel is flawless - everything makes a quirky kind of sense, and there are no gaping plot holes that I became aware of. The story flowed seamlessly and I found it hard to put the book down. I devoured the book in a matter of hours.The thing that I loved most about Pure is the realisation of a post-Apocalyptic world. Those who were stuck outside during the thermo-muclear detonations have been fused on a molecular level with whatever they were close to: buildings, jewellery, glass, toys, and for mothers, their infants. Their DNA has mutated to adapt to this. It’s horrifying. Those inside the Dome were safe, but have their own problems to deal with. Any sign of sickness results in prolonged isolation, people take pills for nutrients and sustenance rather than eat food, and are forced to undergo chemical treatments for ‘enhancement’ as teenagers. The characters in this book are as varied and vivid as the horrors within it. Pressia is a strong-willed, like-able character, who never steps down from her fate and confronts the dangers in her life head on. I found it easy to read the chapters from her point of view and enjoyed her insights into the other characters. The chapters narrated by Partridge were very different to those belonging to Pressia; he was just as determined as her, but lacked real-world experience. However, his bravery was always obvious to me. This is a book I will recommend to anyone - it’s wonderful in its depth and the subject matter will interest most readers. Julianna Baggott is certainly a talented author, and I look forward to reading more of her works, especially the rest of the Pure trilogy.