Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Blood of Anteros (The Vampire Agápe Series, #1) - Georgia Cates 3.5 starsBlood of Anteros surprised me because I wasn’t expecting it to be as intense as it is. Refreshingly told from the perspective of a male vampire, this book is an enjoyable read that captures perfectly the love between Curry and Chansey.The book begins with the mysterious severing of the bonds that bind Curry to his maker – a vicious vampire whom he hates. Curry spends 21 years learning to assimilate with humans, and finally decides to move into his childhood home, renting with the elderly couple who own the house now. When their grand-daughter comes to stay, Curry is afraid that he is a danger to her, young blood being so much more desirable than old blood. However, he finds in Chansey a mystery – while her blood doesn’t attract the vampire within him, something about her makes his long-buried human side emerge. Chansey and Curry are great together, although they have their share of misunderstandings, it’s obvious they genuinely care for one another and I liked that.While there is little action in the book, and most of it occurs near the end, I did enjoy the plot because it is centred on an interesting mythology. I had hoped that Curry’s scorned maker would make an appearance, but now I think that she is part of a larger story arc, and I had to make do with the sleaze-bag bad guys this book offers. What really drives the book is the romantic aspect between the two protagonists – it is unclear whether they will be able to surmount all the obstacles placed in their way.It would be impossible for me to review this book without drawing some comparisons with the Twilight saga: similar issues are understandably raised in both works. Although it is clear that any relationship between a mortal and immortal is doomed without Curry turning Chansey, the issue is handled in a similar manner to that in Twilight. This aspect in itself is common in many vampire-oriented novels featuring romance with a mortal, so it did not overly concern me. However, Curry is quite demanding, and although Chansey stands up for her rights most of the time, the imbalance of power in the relationship means that Curry inevitably has the last say. I hope in future books this issue is resolved.Blood of Anteros is an interesting read featuring an exciting new mythology, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Blood Jewel, for a blog tour next week. I recommend this book to those who enjoyed the Twilight saga but are looking for something aimed at a slightly more mature audience and written a little edgier.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.