Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Reached (Matched Trilogy Series #3)

Reached (Matched Trilogy Series #3) - Reached is one of the best books I have read in a long time – a beautiful combination of action, adventure and romance that took me by surprise since I didn’t like Matched and Crossed that much, in fact, I didn’t like them at all! I think Reached would have been great as a stand alone novel as it works well on its own and is a nice, self-contained story that brings everything together brilliantly.The biggest factors in my dislike of the previous books of the series were the characters: they were so boring and predictable, and I couldn’t stand Cassia. In this book the characters finally have some agency, and because the three protagonists are separated from one another, they each have independent story lines that supplement one another and only come together near the end. I also liked that, unlike the previous books, Reached isn’t primarily about the love triangle between Cassia, Xander and Ky – it’s about the Rising and how everyone deals with all the changes. It’s a refreshing change that finally allows readers to understand the Society and the world that the author has created.Which brings me to the world building. I was impressed by the expansion of the world into new regions, but I was really disappointed we never got to see the Otherlands. I really want to know what the rest of the world is doing. It’s an aspect that dystopian books always leave out – how did the rest of the world allow it to happen, and what are they doing, or not doing, to save the people? One of my favourite aspects was that Ky got to explore so much of the world as a pilot, and we got to see many more cities and provinces. And we even go back to where it all started, albeit briefly.The other thing I really liked about Reached is the scientific aspect of it. It was really interesting to learn about the Plague, its propagation, and the vaccinations and cures needed for it. The author really did her research, and it showed. The means of dispensing this background is also brilliant: instead of giving us lectures on Epidemiology, Condie reveals aspects of the science through conversation between characters, and the reader is left to connect the dots and arrive at the appropriate conclusions themselves.Reached was a great read, an excellent conclusion to the series, and I am glad I have stuck with it! I think those who love a good dystopian story will enjoy this book, and if reviews of Matched and Crossed have put you off, then at least read this one, because it’s really good!A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.