Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Angel

Angel - L.A. Weatherly Angel is a nice change of pace from the other angel-related novels available. In this book, the angels are the bad guys, sucking auric energy out of willing human beings. There is an interesting motivation for the angels to migrate to Earth, and I hope the Crisis is explored further in the sequels. I also thought it was cool that the CIA is helping resist the angels, definitely one of the things I liked most. I feel the book is largely driven by one character - Alex. I thought the story is narrated by him and was disappointed that it’s not. Alex is a memorable character because his background and experiences define him so well. He seems much more realistic than Willow, who is a well written character but bland. I feel she could have been grounded to her past much better to make her stand out, but she is initially painted as a generic YA heroine. There are a few shining moments with Willow, however, so the potential is there for her to become pretty awesome. The plot is fast paced and flows well. I was never bored while reading Angel and felt that the lore was properly explained without being tedious. I was surprised at how quickly feelings developed between Willow and Alex, but was gratified to see they were at least realistic about it since they were being hunted down at the time. Angel is a good read: engaging and fresh, with cool characters. I want to read the sequels and follow Alex and Willow’s adventures further, and recommend it to people who want something different from their paranormal romances.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.