Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Shadowhunters & Downworlders

Shadowhunters and Downworlders - Kelly Link, Diana Peterfreund, Sara Ryan, Kami Garcia, Sarah Rees Brennan, Kate Milford, Michelle Hodkin, Kendare Blake, Gwenda Bond, Scott Tracey, Rachel Caine, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Sarah Cross, Robin Wasserman Shadowhunters and Downworlders is a collection of essays written by prominent YA authors around Cassandra Clare's series, The Mortal Instruments. It is a quick yet through provoking read that I enjoyed, and it left me with a new sense of wonder at the world that Clare has created.The essays collectively cover the characters of the series, the magical world the story is set in, and the themes it explores. Some were a bit dry, but a few really stood out for me: Sarah Cross' examination of what makes Clary powerful - her love of Art - in The Art of War; Robin Wasserman's discussion on the rebellions in the series, both large and small, and the part that Shadowhunter Law plays in all of this, in When Laws are Made to be Broken; Michelle Hodkin's thoughtful essay on Simon, and how he begins the books as Other, as a Jewish character, and continues being Other through his transformation into a vampire, in Simon Lewis: Jewish, Vampire, Hero. Kami Garicia's humorous look at Why the Best Friend Never Gets the Girl; Gwenda Bond's remarks on the importance of friendship in world of The Mortal Instruments, in Asking for a Friend; Sara Ryan's examination of Clare's portrayal of diverse characters in The Importance of Being Malec; The discussion between Kelly Link and Holly Black concerning Immortality and its Discontents, with occasional drops in by Cassandra Clare; and Sarah Rees Brennan's laugh-out-loud commentary in What Does that Deviant Wench Think She's Doing? Or, Shadowhunter's Gone Wild, in which she discusses how the series pushes reader's boundaries. That's a lot! But I really enjoyed reading the short essays, I think they have impacted me and the next time I go to re-read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, I will definitely keep in mind what these authors have said about the series, its characters and settings, and the relationships it portrays.This book will be a good investment for readers who are interested in the place Cassandra Clare's works have in popular culture, who want to examine the effect of the books on its audience.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.