Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - Read the full review here. When I first heard about Cinder, I was sceptical. I haven’t had positive experiences with retellings of fairytales, and a retelling of Cinderella with a cyborg Cinderella sounds silly to me. Once I started reading the book, I found that it isn’t the same calibre as most of the YA genre. It has some light politics, some romantic elements, but it is primarily about a young girl who is struggling mightily with her identity. The characters were my favourite aspect of the book. Cinder is a wonderful heroine, who struggles with being treated like a second-class citizen because she is a cyborg. She legally belongs to her stepmother, which makes her life difficult. Cinder is a compassionate and likeable character, and her interactions with Prince Kai were great to read. Kai is a humorous and charming man, who finds it hard to walk the line between his personal and political life.Meyer has taken a well known folk tale and done fantastic things to it. I was pleasantly surprised by Cinder, and will recommend it to any other person who enjoys young adult novels.