Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) - Suzanne Collins Read the full review here.As the middle book in the series, I was immensely gratified that Catching Fire does not revolve around Katniss Everdeen’s romantic life. As expected, it is extremely difficult for her to adjust to ‘normal’ life after her harrowing experiences. It is also clear that the President of Panem will not let her act of rebellion go unpunished. There is a love triangle, but I admire Katniss because she admits that romance is the very last thing on her mind with her family and friends in danger.The most powerful aspect of the story are the brutal nightmares that plague Katniss. The Katniss in Catching Fire is very different from the Katniss of The Hunger Games. She is recovering from unimaginable horrors, and those experiences colour her actions throughout the novel. She is no less strong, nor like-able, in this book, but there is a new fragility to her, due to psychological trauma, that makes her all the more realistic as a character. The plot of this book is amazing, twisting and turning in unpredictable ways. The biggest event in the book was so unexpected that it is entirely possible I stopped breathing when it was revealed. All the plot twists do not distract from what is really at stake: friends and loved ones who can be hurt by the Capitol as punishment for rebellion.