Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories - Kelly Link, Gavin J. Grant, Elizabeth Knox, Garth Nix I really enjoyed this collection of steampunk short stories from YA authors. It is a really entertaining read and perfect for when I had a few minutes and didn't want to start a new book. Unfortunately, the stories from the authors I already know were largely disappointing, with the notable exception of Libba Bray, and I was impressed with stories by a lot of authors whom I'd only vaguely or never heard of before. Overall a really nice read, and well worth the money I spent.Some Fortunate Future Day by Cassandra ClareI liked this story, but it was ultimately quite predictable. The incident with the rabbit was really creepy though, and I loved the dolls. Some how I expected more from a C. Clare short story, especially since it's the first one of the anthology. The Last Ride of the Glory Girls by Libba BrayThis was awesome, tightly written and engaging. I liked the charcters, and the whole story had a warmth to it that I enjoyed. It was also a lot longer than the previous story, which allowed it to get into some nice character development and world building. Clockwork Fagin by Cory DoctorowReally well written and fun, with a great narrator. The story is well thought out and although it has a conveinient ending, the desperation and tenacity of the orphans is readily beliveable. Seven Days Beset by Demons by Shawn ChengA cute graphic short story about a young man who sells mechanical devices, who is in love with a woman who doesn't feel the same way. I love the way that each day corresponds to one of the deadly sins, it's very clever. Hand in Glove by Ysabeau S. WilceMy favourite story so far, told incredibly well and with likeable characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and wish it was longer! Clever and creepy, and not one to miss.The Ghost of Cwmlech Manor by Delia ShermanI didn't like this one, it wasn't very enjoyable, and a little weird. More of a ghost story than a steampunk story to be honest. Gethsemane by Elizabeth KnoxAnother fairly disappointing story - mostly because many of the main characters didn't have names for a long time and it's hard to keep track of 'the boy', 'the girl', 'the woman' and 'the man' all the time. I liked the volcano though. The Summer People by Kelly LinkThis was wonderful! Wistful, magical and with a hint of eerie, this short story was the perfect read before bed :-) Peace in Our Time by Garth NixA quick, haunting story that showcased the brilliance of Nix's writing. I really enjoyed it, and I wish there was an accompanying novel-sized story.Nowhere Fast by Christopher RoweAnother quick story, set in a strange future, where cars (petroleum powered) are illegal. An interesting look at how the world may react to fuel shortages and environmental changes. Finishing School by Kathleen JenningsA fun graphic story about a young girl's determination to achieve the impossible, and her steadfast but realistic friend. Nicely told as a flashback so we can see how the succeeded in their respective dreams. Steam Girl by Dylan HorrocksOne of my favourite stories: bittersweet and incredibly detailed. I loved it, I loved Steam Girl and I wish there was more!Everything Amiable and Obliging by Holly BlackA somewhat disappointing story, mainly because Holly Black is so famed and well regarded, and this story fell ... flat. There was a lot to think about, but it was predictable and weird. The Oracle Engine by M. T. AndersonThis was set in an alternate Ancient Rome and was interesting to read. I liked the oracle machine and the concept behind the story, but felt sorry for all the characters. This is a really tragic story. You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.