Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Spirit (Elementals, #3) - Brigid Kemmerer The wait for Hunter's book has bee agonising! I've been eager to get inside his head and figure him out. Hunter has always come across as violent and untrustworthy, but Spirit reveals that he's just a sweetheart who's very confused about what he wants, and who he can trust.I love how Spirit revolves around the idea of trust, from the inherent trust we have in our family members, to the trust of outsiders and others who have judged us harshly in the past. Hunter has  lot of trouble with the concept: he won't let anyone in, and the few time he has let his guard down, it hasn't worked out well. The surprise in this novel, for me, was the exploration of Hunter's family life. I guess I got used to the support network that the Merrick's have, and it was jarring for me to read about Hunter's family and their mistrust and disappointment in him. I love the direction Kemmerer took the relationship between Hunter and his mother, and am looking forward to seeing that developed more in the future.I also liked Kate, although I could have done without the idea that she slept around a lot - it seemed unnecessary to her character. But I think the author made her point well - that a girl can be labelled something she isn't, and it's hard for her to prove herself to be otherwise, especially in a high school setting. I liked the conflict Kate went through, but it did seem like a repetition of what Becca had been through in Storm. After reading Breathless, I was a lot more sympathetic towards Quinn, so it was really weird for me to read Kate's thoughts about the bitchy blonde cheerleader. I think it made me like Kate a lot less that she judged Quinn so quickly.Their (inevitable) romance is scorching hot, perhaps even more so than Gabriel and Layne! It was confusing at first - Kate and Hunter are supposedly extremely wary of one another and don't know if they can trust each other, but they're furiously making out every chance they get. But their motivations and feelings are explored and I think it ended up making sense. Kemmerer made some tough decisions in this book, but I loved it all, and I think she should be commended for making those choices.When I finished the book, I felt like the plot of the overall series hasn't progressed a lot, but then I remember that Spirit is set only weeks after Storm, which brings a lot of things into perspective. With the extension of the series from three books to five, we can expect things to keep developing slowly, which is great because the series has always been more character-centric than action or plot driven. Personally, I prefer the series like this, all the characters that Kemmerer writes about are amazing.So, Spirit is not to be missed by fans of the Elementals series, and those who haven't forayed into this series offering five hot guys and their elemental powers are strongly encouraged to seek it out. Spirit will not disappoint, except that it will make you desperate for the next book, Secret, told from Nick Merrick's point of view.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.