Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa I thought it couldn't get any better than The Immortal Rules. I was wrong.The Eternity Cure blew me away, I read it quickly, feverishly, my heart pumping and my mind racing as I tried to anticipate every twist and turn.Allison is out to save her sire, Kanin, who is being tortured by Sarren (Allie un-originally refers to him as Psychotic Vampire), after leaving behind her human friends, including Zeke, in Eden. She's following the call of blood - Kanin's blood acts as a beacon to his agony, and leads Allison to his position. There was a twist here, with the blood calling and tracking, but I guessed it from a mile away and was surprised that Allie didn't. It was the only time in the whole book she didn't anticipate something and I did. Otherwise she is smart and pragmatic, determined to live out her life as humanly as possible and refusing to become a monster like so many other vampires. Readers will still have a lot in common with her, blood-drinking aside, because she second-guesses herself, fears for those around her, and struggles with her identity, just like us.The world-building continues to interest me. with the history of the Red Lung virus and rabidism gradually coming to light throughout the narrative. Having seen life outside the walled city of New Covington in The Immortal Rules, it was great to explore the Inner Circle of the city this time around, and see the extravagant lives of the vampires and their human 'pets'. I'm really looking forward to reading the prequel novella, Dawn of Eden, in the 'Til the World Ends anthology, which tells us more about the Red Lung virus.With fast paced action and brilliant fight sequences featuring Allie's katana, The Eternity Cure makes good use of its 400 pages. The plot is tight and well executed, although Kagawa is prone to info-dumping. In one instance there were characters were dying and everyone stood around recounting history, seeming to forget their urgency for several pages. Allie's return to where it all began gives us a few poignant moments, her concern for her mentor, her friends, and Zeke pull at our heartstrings, and her hatred of Sarren and determination to exact justice quickens the pulse. Although the plot-line resolves the major issues raised in the book, and some answers are supplied for the overall story-arc, there are still a lot unexplored avenues, and the book ends in a place that will have readers begging for more. The last two chapters in particular are amazing, and I figured out what would happen seconds before I turned the last page.Bring on book three I say! I loved The Eternity Cure and I can't wait for the concluding volume of this trilogy. Kagawa has taken the best of the vampire fiction and dystopian genres and created something amazing, and I recommend that everyone who enjoys those genres to try the series out.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.