Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Scent of Magic  (Healer #2) - Maria V. Snyder This sequel is every bit as amazing as I hoped it would be, and has left me desperate for the next volume in the series. Scent of Magic is a thrilling, exciting, emotional roller coaster that readers will find hard to put down.The story is action packed – Avry is disguised as a commander in Estrid’s army, with Jael not having the slightest clue, and desperately trying to get the troops ready to fight Tohon’s army of the undead. Unsurprisingly, the other commanders are skeptical and don’t want to waste time training to fight something they don’t believe exists. When Prince Ryne joins Estrid’s forces against Tohon things change a little, but there are other dangers to deal with. Meanwhile, Kerrick discovers that the tribal population of the Fifteen Realms wants to invade and his own kingdom is in danger, so he goes to fight them off and ends up a captive. There lots of fighting, strategy, manipulation and betrayal, that will keep readers on the edge of their seat.My favourite part of the book is definitely that Scent of Magic follows both Avry and Kerrick as they for the safety of the Fifteen Realms on two very different fronts. They both have important roles in this book, which I enjoyed because I thought that Valek faded into the background in the Study series, and didn’t like that at all. Kerrick doesn’t just come in to rescue Avry and provide advice, he has his own storyline that is every bit as essential as Avry’s own. Their separation, while agonising, is necessary and adds emotion to the story.The secondary characters in this book continue to play a vital role in keeping Avry strong, and reminding both her and Kerrick what they are fighting for. I especially liked the new friendships Avry formed with the Lieutenants in Estrid’s army, and the relationship Kerrick formed with Danny and Zila. It was also awesome to see Kerrick return to his homeland and see his family, who exceeded all expectations.Scent of Magic is not to be missed by fans of Touch of Power, and forms a wonderful sequel that doesn’t suffer from ‘middle book syndrome’ as so many books are prone to. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can’t wait for the final volume of the trilogy, Taste of Death, coming later this year.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.