Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Legend - Marie Lu Read the full review here.I picked up Legend on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by it. It’s a good dystopian story with strong characters who I liked a lot. The setting of the book was the most intriguing part of it: the Republic of America is a deadly place that is described perfectly by the author. I was saddened by the state of the society in the book - they had forgotten that the United States of America, and all it stood for, had even existed, and fact had degenerated into legend.The characters in Legend were great - I really love Day. I think he is an awesome hero and I enjoyed reading the action sequences that featured him. I found June to be a strong character as well, and I never thought that she was stupid for believing what her government told her. I think Marie Lu handled June’s situation well, because many dystopian authors imbue their characters with a blind faith that frustrates me, but Marie didn’t. I liked how the author didn’t shirk away from the harsh realities of the world she has created. Her characters see and do some terrifying things, and I found the Marie Lu’s honest rendition of her world refreshing. The writing quality of this book surpasses what I usually expect from the first published work of an author, so I have high hopes for the rest of her trilogy.Legend is a great book! Even if you read dystopian novels frequently, I believe you will find this one to be innovative and enjoyable. Marie Lu is definitely an author to watch out for!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.