Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Finale - Becca Fitzpatrick This review contains spoilers. Please do not continue if you intend to read Finale.Thank goodness that’s over. Okay. So I ended Silence hoping that Nora, having been granted Nephilim powers and charged with leading them in a war against the fallen angels, would finally start acting like an adult. I can’t describe to you how sorely I was disappointed.My issue with this series has always been the writing and Finale didn’t hold back on this count. For example, Nora, when describing Patch, says, “Patch has seven inches on me, operates on cold, hard logic, moves like smoke, and lives alone in a supersecret, superswanky studio beneath Delphic Amusement Park“. Excuse me, what? ‘Moves like smoke‘ – meaning, languidly, without direction, ever seeking a way out? And ‘supersecret, superswanky‘ – what are you, Nora, five? The rest of the book is similarly filled with non-sensical metaphors, but that shouldn’t have come as a surprise from the series that gave us ”His eyes looked like they didn’t play by the rules” – Hush, Hush, ”Patch’s eyes were slate black, darker than a million secrets stacked on top of each other” – Crescendo, “The color of his hair gave midnight a run for its money” – Crescendo. A personal favourite is Nora saying “I’ll injure you worse” near the end of Finale. Speak English, Nora. I recall she was a really good student before she met Patch, so I’d assume she’d have a firm grasp of the language, but I’d be wrong.My other issues with this have been with the characterisation. Nora and I don’t get along, Patch is a sexual predator and Vee is the worst best friend in the world. I really thought that Nora and Patch would be on more even ground throughout this novel because of the powers she has gained. But Patch keeps Nora in the dark, as usual, and gets angry at her any time she wants to take control of her own future. His job is to protect her, and she’s meant to sit around and wait to be rescued every time something goes wrong (which is often). Nora does the same to Vee, however, so in a way I liked seeing her suffer in ignorance, but I can’t fathom how two so-called best friends keep so many secrets from one another and continue to be best friends.Patch and Nora come up with a plan to pretend to break up, to convince the Nephil that Nora is dedicated to their cause as their leader. But Nora can’t handle that Patch doesn’t account for every single moment of his time away from her. It’s okay for her to train with Dante and forgive him for almost mind-tricking her into kissing him (she neglects to mention this to Patch, because telling your psychopathic, possessive beau that another man is hanging out and flirting with you is a huge no-no), she freaks out that Patch is going on missions with Dabria. Yes, Dabria’s back. Nora’s insecurity and petty jealousy blinds her to everything else, and even when it’s painfully obvious that Dabria isn’t the bad guy, Nora persists in believing it and is shocked to discover her mistake.Coupled with the stereo-typical blonde-bitch cheerleader, an incompetent mother (I don’t care how many times Fitzpatrick tries to sell the ‘mind-tricked’ thing, this woman needs to be reported for bad parenting), and a creepy cop (seriously, what was up with the throw-away plot element?), Finale is a hodge-podge of characters who lack agency and motivation, chained into cardboard cut-out roles with little room for development, and the meandering, confused plot line doesn’t help matters. Nora can’t figure out what she wants to do, the devilcraft device gets old very quickly as its used to explain everything that happens, the story stagnates as Nora worries about her relationship with Patch and then ends abruptly, confusingly. It doesn’t stop there, there’s an epilogue to suffer through – one of the worst I have had the misfortune to read.I was really hoping for something great in Finale, with Nora and Patch finally a unit and taking on their trials together, but this series is built on insipid drama, so I shouldn’t be as surprised as I am about the way the book turned out.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.