Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Shine Light - Marianne de Pierres Shine Light is very short – I knocked it over in a couple of hours – but packs a mighty punch that I’m reeling from! It’s a poignant and fitting conclusion to The Night Creatures series and admirably brings the adventure to a close.The characters continue their growth and development throughout the book, and one of the most striking things that Naif’s recognition that despite her awakening in Ixion, there are limits to what she can and will do. She fights in her own way and although she admires Suki and Clash for being able to take life, realises she will never be able to do that herself. I think it’s a wonderful thing for Naif, because she retains aspects of Retra inside her, which is realistically how it should be. I was disappointed that Jarrold and Marcus didn’t appear throughout the story as much as I would have liked, but having spent all of Angel Arias with them, I was glad to have Suki and Rollo around a lot more throughout Shine Light.The secrets of Ixion do indeed come to light in the book, with the science fiction elements hinted at in Burn Bright returning to the forefront. I loved it, it was original and different enough to be entertaining, and I enjoyed that at no point did Marianne de Pierres try to instil the Ripers and Night Creatures with too much humanity. They simply are, and we will never fully understand them.I have enjoyed The Night Creatures series immensely and have loved the adventures I have shared with Naif. Disheartened as I am to let the gang go, I think Shine Light is the perfect conclusion to the story. I highly recommend the series to all fans of the weird and wonderful, and especially to young adult readers who are looking for something original and touching and brilliant.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.