Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Covet  - Melissa Darnell Whereas Crave is a cleverly realised story about the forbidden romance between a witch and a vampire, Covet is a tangibly different book in that it tackles how Savannah and Tristan handle being forced apart by their families. The previous book was filled with sweet agony and stolen kisses, but this one has a lot of heartbreak and tears, and focusses on the ties and promises that pull the duo apart, even as they struggle toward one another. I liked the book, and while I think the plot could have been stronger, I am eagerly waiting for the final instalment of the series: Consume.One of my favourite things about this series is that it puts Tristan and Savannah on equal ground: they are both powerful and resilient and have the ability to save one another, which is refreshing in YA where protectiveness and power tends to be one-sided. I think both of them could have made different, smarter choices – Tristan should have seen sooner how everyone was interpreting his friendship with Bethany, and Savannah should have realised how her friendship with Ron looked to Tristan. Neither of them was doing anything wrong, but I felt their angst, caused by multiple misunderstandings, was a little prolonged. In contrast, I think the relationship between Ron and Anne provided a perfect counterpoint to Tristan and Savannah, and didn’t begrudge the amount of time the book spent on it. It was wonderful to see that Savannah has such wonderful, supportive friends.I liked the journeys of the other characters in the book, but feel that most of the big reveals are poorly executed. I figured out Ron’s big secret as soon as he made his first deliberately vague statement, I thought it was clear who was tormenting Savannah and why, and Emily’s secret was anything but – I saw through it the moment it began. I don’t think these things were meant to be as glaringly obvious as I found them to be, so I feel like there should have been more effort put into this aspect of the book. Otherwise the plot is wonderful – Savannah’s relationship with her father grows, Tristan becomes increasingly dissatisfied with his family and the Clann, and both of them expand as individuals and explore their powers, all to the backdrop of the Council and the Clann warily circling one another, eager for first blood.How could two people seem so perfect together, be so happy together, and yet be so wrong in so many others’ eyes?Another thing that I liked was that Tristan respected Savannah’s decision to break up with him – in a lot of YA the dumped party tends to become stalker-ish and forceful, but Tristan handled it pretty well. Having explored all his options and realised that there is no way out, I commended his maturity in letting go. This book is also blissfully devoid of the usual ‘I have to stay away from you, but let’s make out heavily and then feel guilty afterwards‘ moments — while there are a few moments of weakness for both of them, Savannah and Tristan are admirably strong and genuinely try to move on.Despite finding the execution a little lacking, I am pleased to say that I really enjoyed Covet – it’s a great follow-up to Crave. This series will make your heart ache, and I recommend it to fans of paranormal romances who are looking for something new. Bring on 2013 and Consume I say!