Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Unearthly  - Cynthia Hand Read the full review here.Unearthly is a captivating book, with interesting characters and unique angel lore. My favourite part was getting to know more about angels and their Purposes on Earth. The novel starts off by describing the visions that Clara gets to tell her about her Purpose, which involve a mysterious boy. I think the visions are wonderful way to engage readers, especially since each one reveals something new and exciting. I found Clara’s struggles to retain normalcy in her life to be realistic; she has found out she is an angel, and she accepts it, but it is difficult for her to think of herself as not human. Her mother seems to think that Clara’s Purpose, which revolves around saving Christian, means she should not spend time making friends and getting to know other people, which I thought was very unfair on her. The more she finds out about angels, however, the more I wanted to know, and I noted that she slowly grew to accept herself and take initiative to fulfil her Purpose. The characters in the book didn’t inspire empathy; I felt like I was always kept away from their real thoughts and feelings.Wendy and Angela were controlling friends, who only liked Clara when she conformed to their ideas. Although I wanted to like Christian, I felt he held too much back. He was in the periphery of the story, even though the visions and Clara’s Purpose are about him. Unearthly was a great read, and I am looking forward to starting Hallowed to find out more about angels and Clara’s purpose. Young adult readers who like books about angels will enjoy Unearthly because of the fresh spin it puts on the lore.