Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins Sweet. Romantic. Gripping. Lola and the Boy Next Door moved me to tears at one point, and I loved it so much I stayed up until 4 am reading it. Lola is one of the best characters I've read in a long time - she has a passion for costume and has wonderful get ups! She's also in love - with her 22-year-old rocker boyfriend, Max. Lola's parents don't understand how much she loves Max, which she finds a little hyprocritcal (her parents are gay). This causes a few complications but it's always very clear how much Lola's parents love her and she loves them. I think the author has captured a wonderful family dymanic here, and I really enjoyed it - it makes such a change from the usual absentee authority figures in YA. When Lola's long time neighours, the Bell family, move back in, and Lola is forced to endure the company of their younger son, Cricket Bell, after he broke her heart two years ago and moved away. Cricket is awesome! I really liked him - he's so polite to everyone, dresses well, and is obviously a hopeless romantic. *swoon* Although Lola thinks Cricket's twin sister is horrible, it becomes evident that she's just under some major stress and only looking to protect her brother, which is sweet. Cricket and Lola's family lives nicely compliment one another and I like dhow they supported one another through the difficult times. Another lovely story by Stephanie Perkins - I've discoevred I really like her work :-) A must read for fans of sweet, romantic stories with a lot of heart in them.