Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Shadows  - Ilsa J. Bick After reading Ashes and loving it, I was immensely glad to have a copy of its sequel handy. I started reading it immediately, which saved me a lot of torment, as Ashes ends on one of the most thrilling cliff-hangers ever. Shadows left me breathless (and ends, again, with a cliffhanger that has me desperate for the next book), and I loved every page of it.Shadows is told from multiple perspectives: Alex and Tom share some limelight with some other characters, including Chris, Lena and Peter. This allows the reader to get a feel for what is going on in different regions, and the author is able to showcase exactly how mad everyone has become after the EMP. While some of the Elders are downright scary, we do meet some very sweet people along the way as well. My love for Tom has been renewed, and I hope there is a happy ending somewhere for him!The plot rolls along beautifully in this book and while it is full of action, there are plenty of reprieves that provide opportunities for reflection from all the characters. I feel like the action scenes could have been handled in a different way, however, since whenever Alex is in a desperate position, so is Tom, and the author creates urgency by switching perspectives very quickly. This results in chapters that are two – three pages long, and got to be frustrating when the device was used for an extended period of time. Otherwise the plot is engaging and the story well though out, and I found it to be extremely enjoyable.Shadows is a wonderful adventure story that grips its readers, and a must read for all readers who loved Ashes. I feel the Ashes series will be enjoyed by fans of the Dystopian/ Post Apocalyptic crowd, but would readers looking for something new to read to try it as well.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.