Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The White Thread (The Gateway Chronicles #3) - K.B. Hoyle With each successive Gateway Chronicles book I find myself increasingly absorbed by the world and characters that Hoyle has created. The White Thread does not disappoint. Since readers are following the same six characters from the age of 11 to about 18, I expect we will get to see them grow up in extraordinary ways. The expansion of the world, to introduce us to some new places and cultures, is admirable and I enjoyed it thoroughly.Darcy finally displays the maturity and forward thinking I always felt lacking in the other books, because now, as a fifteen year old, she has a lot more responsibility to shoulder. She's nicer to her family, especially her brother, and isn't annoyed by everything all the time. This is not to say that she doesn't make mistakes, but at least now Darcy is thinking through many of her decisions and being a lot more open with those around her. I continue to like Tellius - when I reviewed The Oracle I said that I can see him becoming a great man and think that romance between him and Darcy would be awesome, and I think my point was proved in this book. I really liked Perry's storyline as well since it shows that sometimes we can mistakenly believe we want something, but when we get it we realise we didn't.The narks continue to be the most awesome creatures and ensemble of characters in this world, and I enjoyed getting to know more about their culture. Yahto Veli is still incredible - the author manages to create his presence throughout the book even though he is trapped by the Oracle. We also get to see a bit more of the Oracle, and it was enlightening to say the least. There is also the introduction of a few new cultures, and a new Goddess or spirit, and an air spirit (she was pretty cool).The six continue to engage and interest me with their adventures in Alitheia, and I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised by the series. The White Thread has been the book I have enjoyed the most so far because of the growth of the characters, and the cliff-hanger ending has me pining for more!A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.