Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins This book is so good! From the very first chapter, nay the very first PAGE, I was hooked! Anna is sweet and realistic, I would absolutely be her friend if she came to my school (and my school was in PARIS!). She isn't stereotypically awkward and shy and "delightfully" clumsy - she's a real girl who wants to make friends but everyone at her school is already in well-established cliques. Anna's neighbour in the dorms invites her to join one of these cliques - and we get to meet Meredith, Rashmi, Josh and *sigh* St. Claire. These people becomes Anna's best friends, and they are there for her when she needs them and sometimes when she just wishes they would go away! I love that the supporting cast all have lives away from Anna, they are realistic, rounded characters. They each have small issues and none if them are perfect, but together they are an awesome group of friends.I loved St. Claire. I can understand why some people would be annoyed with him, he didn't break up with his girlfriend when he realised he was interested in Anna, but are people out there who want something comfortable and I understood why he wouldn't want to leave a steady relationship for the unknown. He and Anna have some really beautiful moments, and you can tell that they genuinely care about each other - they aren't just attracted to one another on a superficial level. I loved everything about this book! It's been a wonderful read when I needed a break from the Speculative Fiction I usually read, and I am hoping to read more of Stephanie Perkins in the future.