Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) - Aimee Carter Wow. May I have the next book please? Now?!For this review to really make sense I have to recap what I thought of The Goddess Hunt. You can either read the review here or read on for a quick summary: I liked the plot and Kate’s relationship with her mother, I was disappointed at the departure from Greek mythology when it came to the behaviour and temperament of the Gods and Goddesses, and while I didn’t particularly like Kate, but didn’t hate her either and mostly was annoyed at the decisions she made. Initially I thought I wouldn’t like this book very much because right away Kate annoyed me with some of the things she said: not believing the Underworld is really under the ground, demanding Henry’s attention when he’s off saving everybody from a new threat and creating this idea in her head that she is always going to be second best to Persephone. This last one really annoyed me: no one had even mentioned Persephone, but there Kate is, miserable that she has to live in the same place, accept the same duties and love the same people who her sister once did. Sibling issues at their very worst.With all the personal things going on, I felt that the plot of the story would be lacking – perhaps the action and danger would take a back seat of Kate’s misery. But, after Henry’s disappearance, there is a tangible change in the story and is no longer in danger of having ‘Second Book Syndrome’. Suddenly the dangers come to the forefront, and although Kate still displays some shocking lack of foresight, I admired her strength in seeking out the one person she had major issues with, Persephone. Throughout the journey to rescue Henry, more details are revealed about his past with Persephone, and the reader, along with Kate, comes to realise the depths of pain that marked that doomed relationship, and the scars that Henry still bears. Suddenly his aloofness and Kate’s pain are more real. I have the utmost respect for the author, who must have searched the depths of her emotions to convey so clearly the gut wrenching pain Kate feels. We are no longer watching a young girl pine for her first crush – we are seeing a wife, desperately in love with her husband, who is in turn on love with a ghost. Then there was that scene, in the room with lots of windows, that undid me. I usually don’t cry reading books, I can’t even remember the last book that made me cry, but cry I did while reading Goddess Interrupted. That, my friends, is some powerful writing.This book features some intense character development – with the Gods and Goddesses revealing parts of their manipulative and selfish nature, and eventually starting to resemble the characters from mythology. My favourite secondary character continues to be Ava – she’s so fiery and independent! I don’t like the way that Kate continually judges her for her sexual freedom though – Kate gets all ‘holier-than-thou’ about how she only wants to be with Henry, but I really don’t think she’s in the position to say something like that seeing has she hasn’t tried to live out centuries with the same man. Speaking of which, Henry comes a long way in this novel, both in terms of his personal growth and in his relationship with Kate. It takes them both a while, but they get there in the end, although it’s clear a lot of their heart ache could have been avoided if they had simply talked to one another, it’s also understandable why they never had the opportunity to.I’m loving where this series is heading, and I’m even beginning to like Kate! I can’t wait for the next book in the series, and if this one is anything to judge by, it’s going to be one hell of a ride. This is definitely a series to look out for, and will be enjoyed by anyone with a love for YA fiction or retellings of Greek mythology.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.