Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Empyreal Fate - Rachel  Hunter I am glad that I got the chance to read Empyreal Fate and was surprised that the young writer delivered such an engaging tale of forbidden love set in a politically volatile world. While the ideas presented in the book are simple, Hunter’s writing style gives it a wonderful complexity. She examines the motivations of each of her characters very well and introduces us to an interesting world that I want to know more about.One of the best aspects of the book is the separation the author achieves between her human and elvish cultures. Too often in Fantasy elves are prettier, smarter versions of humans who are driven only by a relentless need to co-exit with nature. Rachel Hunter creates her elves as ethereal creatures that have little in common with humans but avoids alienating the reader by alternating Darrion’s point of view with Amarya’s throughout. Both Darrion and Amarya are likeable characters in complex situations that the reader easily empathises with.My complaints about Empyreal Fate are few but important, I feel, because they directly affected my enjoyment of the book. First of all, the book is written in an archaic style using Old English syntax. Although this lends a mystical quality to the story and helps to ground the story in another world, I found myself unable to let go and enjoy the story because I was constantly forced to translate odd turns of phrases. Secondly, something happens to Amarya in the book, something really bad, but the event seems to serve no purpose, and she suffers minimal trauma afterwards. I don’t think that the event should have been included at all because it wasn’t handled very well in my opinion.Overall, Empyreal Fate is a great achievement by the author and I recommend it to people who would like reading New Adult Fantasy set in a cool new world. I will be keeping my eye out for the sequel!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.