Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Fury - Rebecca Lim Even though the blurb suggests a certain fierceness on Mercy's behalf, I had not expected Fury to be as wild and savage as it is. Restored to her full glory as a high-ranking angel of heaven, Mercy is just starting to realise how different she is from the humans she has been living among for millenia. Suddenly she is separate from the very people she has fought so hard to love and protect, and she alone of all the angels can see humans as anything but inferior creatures.Rebecca Lim brings Mercy the angel to life so vividly that the difference between her and Mercy-trapped-as-a-human is tangible. The cadence of her speech, her thoughts and her whole manner of being is suddenly changed and alien, and strongly evokes angelic nature. While the romance between her and Ryan is sweet, ultimately I feel that Mercy is held back by his regard and her reciprocation. There was never any chance for them - one of the things I will never understand is why people think immortal and mortal beings have a chance to be a normal couple.Ryan is a wonderful character, as usual, struggling with the enormous changes in Mercy and trying to keep up with her and her immortal brethren. His random spats of jealousy were annoying to read, because no one was forcing him to be there with Mercy. In fact, everyone continually tried to talk him out of accompanying her, and yet he stubbornly refused. What right did he have then to complain about his distinct lack of angelic powers?One of the coolest aspects of the book is the reappearance of peripheral characters from previous books - people who Mercy influenced strongly in her previous lives - coming together at various stages to help her. I think it lent a sense of closure to the book, and when I finished the book I felt that most things had been handled well. It was great to see Mercy figure out the answers to some of the questions that plagued her throughout the last three books, but there are a few - like Mercy's real name and its significance - which I would have liked answered.Fury is a stunning way to conclude what has been a unique and mesmerising series, and I encourage readers to try the series if they are looking for quality YA that uses mythology in a new way. Mercy's adventures have been a pleasure to read and I hope Rebecca Lim continues to write outstanding books!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.