Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Alchemy of Forever - Avery Williams I absolutely love the premise of The Alchemy of Forever! I liked how the concept of immortals who transplant bodies is explained well so that there is never any confusion in the process. This book isn't about a teenage girl who becomes an Incarnate - it's about a girl who has lived hundreds of years and is wracked with guilt over the suffering her existence causes. Through living Kailee's life Seraphina is able to find new reasons to keep living and keep fighting the controlling and downright evil Cyrrus.The characterisation of Seraphina and Cyrrus is clear and executed well, but the other characters blend into the background and are only pulled out by the author when they are needed. It would have helped my understanding of the other Incarnates if it had been explained WHY they chose this life in the first place - it seems unlikely that they all believed Cyrrus immediately and wanted to undergo the process.The Alchemy of Forever is a well paced enjoyable book that I think most people will enjoy. It uses old concepts and myths in a new way, and I enjoyed reading it a lot! A wonderful debut for Avery Williams, and I am looking forward to reading more of the series (especially after that killer cliff-hanger!!).You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.