Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Way of Kings: Bk. 1 - Brandon Sanderson Brandon Sanderson never fails to deliver on amazing world building and I was, as usual, astounded by the level of detail he puts into his writing. Everything, including the speech, mannerisms and military styles of the kingdoms is meticulously described and self consistent. The world is rich in detail - I especially love the way that the destructive high-storms have shaped the people of Roshar such that ‘storm’ is an expletive used instead of the F word. The wonderful world building is backed up by an amazing plot line.The first half of the novel, while great, is used to set up the story for ten novels. This makes it sometimes information heavy - but Sanderson has used maps, illustrations and quotes in his unique way to make the history of Roshar interesting and relevant to the reader. Many questions have been raised in the first half, and while most are answered in the second half, the book finishes with so many new mysteries that I feel I can’t wait 12 months for the sequel. The Way of Kings is written in three parts, with interludes from other characters in between. There seem to be ten narrating characters in total, which leads me to conclude that perhaps each of the ten books will focus primarily on the journey of one of them, as The Way of Kings focuses on Kaladin. The growth of the characters was my favourite part of the book. Kaladin’s apathy and self pity and Shallan’s constant bemoaning of her fate really annoyed me initially. But as they grew and found themselves, I quickly decided they were my favourite characters. If you are looking for a great read to kick start the new year, I do not hesitate in recommending this masterpiece to you! Although I do warm you - ten books is a long time to wait for the whole series to be published!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.