Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Choker - Elizabeth Woods Choker isn't Speculative Fiction like I usually review, but I received a copy from the publisher and decided to read it based on the synopsis. It sounds creepy but good, and that's exactly what it is.The book starts by introducing the friendship of Zoe and Cara, and immediately we can see that Zoe is a bad influence and Cara is a bit of a pushover. Fast forward many years, and Cara's family has moved away from Zoe's and she has never really fit in anywhere ever since. Her parents are neglectful but loving, her friends are few, and she is generally pathetic but likeable. Zoe. Zoe creeped me out from the first page and it only got worse. This is one of those books where you think you have it all figured out and then suddenly everything shifts and you don't really know what's going to happen anymore. The climax was amazing - I literally couldn't stop reading for the last 50 or so pages. I really enjoyed Choker and would love to read some more of Elizabeth Woods' work. This is her debut novel and she has certainly demonstrated that she can write exceptionally well! If you're looking for something short and packed full of awesome, try Choker!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.