Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Hex Hall  - Rachel Hawkins What a fun read! The Hex Hall series has been sitting on my shelves for a very long time, and for some reason I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it. I was dead wrong. I finally got around to reading it when a friend of mine bought it and we decided to read it together. I loved it. I finished it in one sitting! It’s a short read, just over 300 pages, which took me less than four hours. I was surprised to find out Hex Hall is Rachel’s debut novel - it’s brilliant!The plot and setting of this novel are nothing original. A boarding school full of supernaturally inclined teenagers, the hot, dark and mysterious guy with the bwitch of a girlfriend, and oblivious teachers who don’t notice when a student is being victimised. I think Sophie’s insta-crush on Archer was really predictable and the introduction of Cal seems to be a set up for the requisite love triangle. What is unique about the book are the main characters. Sophie is wonderful - witty and sarcastic without over-doing it. She exercises the common sense which is often lacking in many YA heroines, and she had me laughing out loud at times when she stood up to the bullies at her school. Her room-mate and only friend at Hex Hall is Jenna - a vampire who is completely obsessed with electric pink! Jenna is a riot, I loved her a lot and hope she gets a chance to star a bit more in the coming books. The storyline may not be original, and the characters sometimes fit perfectly into stereotypes, but Hex Hall is a FUN book that will make you feel great long after you finish it. If you’re tired of dark, emotionally heavy paranormal romances then I encourage you to pick this series up. You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.