Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Paranormalcy - Kiersten White I was surprised by this book - I was expecting just another YA paranormal romance, and I got a lot more then that. The plot is well outlined and interesting, the characters are great and the whole story just hurtles along. Paranormalcy features vampires, werewolves, faeries, and a whole host of other paranormal creatures, and refreshingly, they’re not all hunky, romantic guys who the heroine falls for. This is largely because Evie can see through the glamours the paranormal creatures put up and she sees the ugliness underneath. I thought that the IPCA’s ignorance concerning the fey irritating: any intelligent person could see that they had absolutely no control over the creatures. I was unsurprised when it all went south.The characters are absolutely adorable - Evie is mature and honest, with a hint of rebellious teenager. Her only experience of our world is through a high school drama on TV, so she’s really excited when she gets to experience high school herself. She loves lockers. Lend, the mysterious boy she meets at IPCA, has become one of my favourite love interests in YA. He’s unique, noble and ever a gentleman but still strong heroic when needed.I think Paranormalcy will surprise everyone - it’s a great break from the usual dark and moody paranormal romances.