Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.This is a wonderful book that I will never forget reading. The story is mesmerising, and Taylor has created a beautiful world to set it in. One of my favourite things is the sense of place, the author brings her world to life so vividly it’s difficult not to get sucked in and feel as though you are experiencing it for yourself. I loved everything about this book, the characters, the setting, Taylor’s prowess at storytelling.Karou is an extraordinary girl and I loved reading about her. She has a dark life, and doesn’t have many close friends, but she is strong, brave and stubborn. I liked her for her wilfulness - even int he depth of despair she didn’t sit around and bemoan her fate, she was always fighting to make things better. I liked Avika as well (“Oh, Hell. Must. Mate. Immediately.” - Zuzana), especially his devotion to Karou, but I wish the reader got to know him better. Hopefully the sequel will reveal more about him. The other characters in the book are great, each with their own purpose and none pigeon holed into stereotypical roles. I think I enjoyed scenes with Zuzana the best, she is an admirable best friend with wonderful quirks of her own. I hope she features more in the following books as well. Brimstone is also exceedingly intriguing, but I haven’t been able to figure out whether I like him or not. I picked up this book on a whim and am very glad that I did. It deserves all the praise it gets and more, and if there is one book you do not want to miss, this is it. So go on, grab yourself a copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone and revel in its brilliance.Read more of my reviews here.