Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Poison Throne (The Moorehawke Trilogy, #1) - Celine Kiernan It’s the characters and their relationships that really make this book. Wynter’s relationship with Prince Razi, whom she calls ‘brother’, was especially sweet. I think they behaved very much like siblings. Her sudden and irrational jealousy of Christopher, Razi’s best friend, irritated me until I realised acts just like a sister would. Wynter also has a wonderful relationship with her father, and she takes care of him lovingly during his illness. I think the story of The Poison Throne is so powerful because of the relationships the characters have with one another. The action unfolds slowly throughout the book - a large portion of it is dedicated to setting up the characters and world. The world-building is superb - Celine Kiernan describes everything so well it was vivid in my mind. The writing in throughout the book is phenomenal, I found it very hard to put the book down. The story was paced well and flowed very well, and when it finished I was really surprised because I was having so much fun. However, I have to point out that the violence, when it does occur, is graphic, but I think it is in keeping with the tone of the whole world. If you haven’t already, I recommend you pick this series up. It’s a book that might get overlooked with all the other fantasy available out there, but it’s a diamond in the rough. You do want to go straight from this book to the sequel, The Crowded Shadows, however, so I highly recommend you have it available when you read The Poison Throne. Read more of my reviews here.