Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Hallowed  - Cynthia Hand Read the full review here.The first thing that struck me about Hallowed was that it was tighter and flowed better than Unearthly. The characters develop well throughout the book and I felt, when I finished, that I understood them much better. I was hooked into the story very early on, and then found myself reading large chunks whenever I was free so I could find out all the juicy secrets within the pages.Cynthia Hand has not written a typical young adult paranormal romance, and she isn't afraid to make fun of herself. Clara stands outside Tucker's bedroom in a few scenes and at one point she admits that it is "dumb and admittedly creepy in an Edward Cullen kind of way". When confronted with the inevitable love triangle between herself, Tucker and Christian, Clara says"Before I moved here, I never got the whole love-triangle thing. You know, in movies or romance novels or whatnot, where there's one chick that all the guys are drooling over, and even though you don't see anything particularly special about her. But oh, no, they must both have her. And she's like, oh dear, however will I choose? William is so sensitive, he understands me, he swept me off my feet, oh misery, blubber, blubber, but how can I go on living without Rafe and his devil-may-care ways and his dark and only-a-little-abusive love?"The characters are not stereotypical, and cannot be pigeon-holed into typical roles. Everyone is realistic, has their motivations, vices and redeeming qualities. The author brings a freshness to the genre that I loved.This sequel has made me pine for more, and I hope the third and concluding book of the Unearthly series will be in my hands soon!