Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Exile  - Rebecca Lim While Mercy read like a thriller, Exile is more of a contemporary novel, describing the struggles of Lela (and through her, Mercy) as she takes care of her dying mother. Instead of trying to solve a missing-person case, Mercy is struggling to handle day-to-day life as Lela, and this brings out harder side to her. I didn’t like Mercy’s willingness to use those around her to achieve her means, but other than that her character continues to be interesting and evolve. I feel the plot of the book lagged when compared to Mercy. The last book had a mystery thriller driving the plot, but this book relies solely on Mercy and her interactions with other characters. Despite believing otherwise, Mercy is surprisingly blind to the motivations behind other people. I believe this is because the book, and therefore Mercy, is focused on the love triangle between Luc, Mercy and Ryan. Mercy is too worried about meeting both of the boys to really pay attention to anything around her, and this is a major failing of the book. I enjoyed unravelling Mercy’s past with her and believe this aspect of the story was handled well. Enough questions have been answered to satiate readers, but intriguing new hints have been dropped to keep readers engaged. In particular, I am glad that Luc seems to be revealing his true colours and Mercy has begun to rethink her unwavering trust in him. I didn’t like Exile as much as I liked Mercy, but still recommend them book to others. The characters are great, but the plot lacked something. I will be continuing with the series because I think the lore surrounding Mercy and the angels is interesting. You can read more of my reviews here.