Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi Read the full review here.A wonderful, gripping read that I tore through in under three hours. Shatter Me is a different kind of dystopian novel, set some ten years after the collapse of human society due to climate change, fuel shortages etc. The story is riveting - starting with Juliette’s isolation and then slowly revealing the circumstances under which she was imprisoned. I think this is a great way of telling the story because it hooks the reader in.Juliette is an interesting character because her isolation has made her borderline insane. She is deeply untrusting and closed off to the world (and to be honest I can’t blame her). Her disjointed thoughts and damaged thought process are effectively portrayed by alternating short, halting sentences with paragraph long sentences. Striked out sentences are also used to signify the thoughts that Juliette doesn’t want to have or doesn’t think she should have. It takes some time to get used to this writing style, but it’s worth it.