Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer  - Michelle Hodkin Read the full review here.The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is well written and realised vividly. Mara’s PTSD is described so well that I freaked out right alongside her when something happened. I took up this book before I went to bed, intending to read a few chapters before sleeping. I found myself staying up until 2.30 am to finish it. I thought Mara was going to be a whiny protagonist, something about the way she was jealous of the new girl in the first chapter. As the story progressed I saw her grow into a strong and independent person. Her visions were expertly conveyed to the reader: I couldn’t tell where her hallucinations ended and reality set in, so I was just as terrified as Mara. The odd thing about her visions is that I never thought they were visions, and when I saw that the blurb described them as such, I was left wondering why I instantly jumped to other conclusions. Mara’s family deserves mention because I feel the author has conveyed a wonderful, caring family in them. Her relationships with her brothers and parents are honest and realistic. Her relationship with Noah, on the other hand, is complicated and prickly, and funny to read about. Noah is an awesome character: quirky, funny and in the business of making girls melt with his smile. The only flaw I find with him is that Mara’s obsession with him develops too quickly and is never fully explained.A good book with a wonderful, totally unexpected twist at the end which has me begging for the next book in the series, I recommend it to all readers who enjoy thrillers and young adult fiction.