Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey Series #4)

The Iron Knight - Julie Kagawa Read the full review here.A book written from Ash’s point of view! The Iron Knight was an enlightening read - finally getting to see the world through Ash’s eyes was fun. He was very different from what I had expected - harsher, colder - and it helped me realise the depth of his feelings for Meghan. I also liked the growth he displayed throughout the book. He made some very hard decisions and got to know himself a lot better too. I feel that, ultimately, the plot of this novel wasn’t as engaging as it could have been. The urgency and importance of Ash’s quest to obtain a soul was never conveyed - I found myself skipping pages. I also think the ‘ultimate sacrifice’ Ash gave was really no sacrifice at all. The ending seemed forced, and I think the author tried too hard to make sure everyone’s personal story had a fairy floss ending. While it was a good conclusion to the series, I feel this book was mediocre at best. It lacked the emotional drive of The Iron Queen, and apart from the insights given to the reader in seeing through Ash’s eyes, The Iron Knight offers nothing that could not have been given in three extra chapters in The Iron Queen.