Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Staraya skazka

Staraya skazka - Keyt Forsayt There’s something mesmerising about Kate’s writing, something that weaves together the true story of a wonderful woman with the mythology of Rapunzel so you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins. The books is set out as a story within a story around a memoir, and I am impressed with the clarity with which it is delivered. I was sucked into the story literally from the first chapter: Charlotte-Rose is a powerful narrator with whom I sympathised with instantly. I found Margherita’s parts of the story wonderful as well - they are thrilling and bittersweet, but brilliantly written. I struggled with Selena’s section simply because I couldn’t imagine the difficulties in her life and the sacrifices she had to make simply to survive. These are three extremely powerful characters, each with their own trials and tribulations in life, linked through fate and magic and dark secrets across the ages. I’ve seen many a book review which uses the words “lush prose” and am always mystified by the idea. But if there’s a book that has prose that can be described as such, it exists in Bitter Greens. The settings of the story are vivid and well researched: Kate has accurately captured the landscapes, cultures and ambiance of the cities she describes in her book. Bitter Greens is a excellent piece of historical fiction, one of the best I’ve ever read, and Kate shows her mastery at writing across genres in this book. A book you definitely need to pick up and read if you get the chance!You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.