Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

The Forever Girl (Forever Girl, #1)

The Forever Girl (Forever Girl, #1) - Rebecca  Hamilton I love stories about witches! And this one doesn’t only have witches, but other paranormal aspects as well, including shape shifters and vampires. I really liked the story and the relationships between the characters, and hope to continue reading the series!Sophia is a really interesting character – she grabbed my attention from the very first page. As a 22-year-old narrator she’s a lot more accessible, at least for me, than many sixteen year old protagonists and I liked her ‘voice’. I think she handled all the changes in her life admirably and kept her head when other people would have acted irrationally. While Sophia’s attraction to Charles is a too strong and fast for my liking, it’s still enjoyable to read a character who acknowledges the impossibilities of starting a relationship with a supernatural being and is honest about it.The world that Hamilton has created is intriguing, with its elemental beings and their varying powers. I think that the idea of the Universe was too vague: I still have no idea who/what they are, but otherwise the paranormal aspect of the book is well realised. The ways in which Wiccan beliefs are portrayed is also refreshing – I really liked that Sophia is quite normal -she comments on how her community expects someone who practises Wicca to look ‘Goth’ or ‘Emo’, and how it’s silly. I think the cover contradicts this statement, however, because the model is wearing clothes that Sophia would never wear, and it looks distinctly ‘witchy’, even though I gather one of the purposes of the book is to debunk that stereotype.The Forever Girl is an exciting read with really cool mythology, and I really wish I’d read it sooner! I’ll be looking out for more books in this series. I recommend this book for those looking for a New Adult paranormal read – guaranteed you won’t regret it!A copy of this book was provided by the author for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.