Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Prodigy (Legend Series #2)

Prodigy - Marie Lu A breath-taking sequel that I couldn’t put down, Prodigy is a wonderful sequel to Legend. My favourite aspects have to be the world building and the character development, but really, there is so much to love about the book.We get to know Day and June a lot better in this novel, and I feel that this book explores what makes them tick. The Elector’s death separates the duo as they both work to bring the Republic down: June from the inside and Day from the outside. Their time apart really makes them question themselves and their decisions, helps them get over the harrowing events of Legend, and I loved it because so many YA books don’t allow the protagonists to really think through what they are giving up for love. I sympathised with both of them and can’t blame either for their actions, but it was heartbreaking to see them get further and further apart.I really enjoyed reading about Anden – he’s a little too idealistic and naive, but a genuinely good guy who wants to help. I can see a lot of scope for growth in his character, and hope the next book of the series shows us how his idealism is challenged when he is faced with implementing all his revolutionary changes. Thomas, one of the most interesting characters in Legend, barely made an appearance in Prodigy, which makes me think he will turn up in the next book. While he isn’t evil, Thomas is exactly what the Republic made him and I don’t think he will change too easily, but I hope things can be worked out between him and June.A lot of the dystopian novels I have read (and I may be reading the wrong ones) tend to ignore the outside world and only place the action in the self-contained, regimented environment of a city/country. But I’ve always thought of that as the biggest plot-hole – where is the rest of the world, and why do they let the horrific conditions in this place continue? But Prodigy gives us a glimpse into the outside world, how they see the Republic and what they are doing for its citizens. It was really gratifying to read. I think the inclusion of the outside media also served to highlight how ignorant the Republic’s citizens are and the many truths that had been hidden from them.I loved Prodigy, I think it takes the story of Day and June to incredible places, and I can’t wait to get my eager hands on the next book. The Legend series is refreshing, intelligent and highly entertaining, and I recommend to it everyone!A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.