Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Struck

Struck - Jennifer Bosworth The plot of Struck is interesting and new. The premise is also believable, that a religious leader could gain so much power and influence after a natural disaster that isolates one of the largest cities in the US. Mia’s addiction to lightening is interesting, and I think the author does a great job in balancing the familial and paranormal aspects of her story. I must say that the twist in the plot is pretty obvious. I saw it coming a mile away and wasn’t at all surprised when it was revealed. One of my favourite aspects of the book, however, is the villain. Like the most impressive bad-guys, he is intelligent and ruthless, and his followers are reverent and genuinely believe that are doing the right thing. Mia’s voice was the first thing that grabbed my attention when I started Struck. She is obviously self sufficient and mature and I enjoyed the way she told her story. Mia loves and protects her brother fiercely, sacrifices everything for her mother and her deep love for her family was wonderful to see. It’s unfortunate that Mia has no close friends throughout the novel as I would have loved to see her connect with someone like a friend. But then, her interactions with Rachel and Jeremy bring that out that part of her a little, so that aspect isn’t lost. The growth of Mia and Jeremy’s relationship was well paced and filled with wariness from Mia’s side so I liked it. Struck is an enjoyable read and a great debut for Jennifer Bosworth. If there is a sequel then I will definitely want to read it.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.