Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn - Alison Goodman I’ve been looking forward to reading this book ever since I slated it for the Australian Women Writers Reading Challenge. I was finally able to get to it, and it did not disappoint! Eon has a unique background: rooted in Chinese and Japanese culture and transformed into something both familiar and alien at the same time. The dragons are a wonderful addition to the story, and I loved how the author used them.The story is based on the age old tale of a woman having to work hard to make it in a man’s world, but it is handed intelligently and there is a wonderful mystery surrounding the issue. In Eon’s world, it is thought that women are unworthy of the powers of a Dragoneye, and that they are too soft and unpractical to really be good at anything except sewing and gossiping. While I hated the prejudice against women, I found Eon’s struggles all the more griping as she (he?) tried to hide her deadly secret. The characters make Eon a delight to read, with their depth and realistic attitudes. The villains were properly terrifying in their psychotic nature, and the heroes were endearing. I found Lord Ido interesting but repulsive at the same time. His ambition scared me and his philosophies were so outrageous that I was genuinely mystified by them for a while. Eon’s struggles to understand her own nature were very well written and I sympathised with her a lot.Eon is a great book, which I enjoyed reading immensely. A word of warning, you really want to have access to the sequel, Eona, when you are reading this book, because I think it would be very difficult to wait to find out what happens! Read more of my reviews here.