Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Bridger (Bridger, #1)

Bridger (Bridger, #1) - Megan Curd 3.5/5Starting off very strongly with the death of the protagonist’s father, Bridger quickly takes readers on a whirl wind adventure to Ireland where we found out that folk tales are not always fiction. Although it seemed strange to me that Ash would be willing to make a trip overseas so soon after her father’s death (and without attending a funeral), once she arrived at her destination I was swept up in the story and enjoyed it a lot. The book features a sweet romance and interesting mythology, but is bogged down by a haphazard and sometimes poorly explained plot and murky motivations for some key characters.Ashlyn is a great heroine to read about because she genuinely cares about those around her and tries to protect them at every turn. I think that Ash’s interactions with Liam were the most compelling part of the story – they seem to just click and it was really nice seeing their relationship develop. Although it began abruptly and progressed rather quickly, I think Liam is awesome and makes a great match for Ash. Her best friend, Reese, on the other hand annoyed me greatly because that boy doesn’t know the meaning of boundaries, and anyways, isn’t openly hitting on a girl, any girl, in front of her boyfriend against the Bro Code. Bad from Reese! With Ash having such positive relationships with her friends and family, it was extremely strange that she missed what was going on with her brother Chris. It just didn’t add up because she isn’t that self-absorbed and I think she should have picked up on it a lot sooner.I found Ash’s family to be utterly incomprehensible – they allow Ashlyn to travel to Ireland and actively set her up with Liam (days after her father’s death), allow her to be best friends with a faery who is trying to harm her, and generally let her traipse along in ignorance and then are surprised that she ends up in trouble. I feel a lot of the non-sensical drama in the book could have been avoided through communication between family members, especially between Liam and his mother. Similarly, I thought that the death of her father would compel Ash to seek revenge and that her desire to learn all about her heritage would stem from that, but her father’s death is largely forgotten by the second half of the book. I also felt that Ash’s mother played an extremely small role in the story, conveniently popping up when someone needed food or a hostage was required by the plot. I enjoyed the faery lore and wanted to get to know it a lot better, but there seemed to be too many loop holes and convenient exceptions for me to take it too seriously. Also, while Emily is a great character, her weird mystic nature really started annoying me about half way through as more and more bizarre details are revealed about the sweet old grandmother.Overall, however, Bridger is a lovely and interesting book that I excitedly read in one sitting, and I’m planning to read the sequel as soon as I can. The story is a real gem that just needs a bit of polishing to bring out its shine! Readers who would enjoy faery stories will love this book, and while it is aimed at a young adult audience, it is suitable for readers of any age.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.