Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Mockingbird

Mockingbird - Chuck Wendig It’s wonderful to get back with Miriam and Louis and go on another dark, action filled adventure with them. While Miriam is attempting to gain some normalcy in her life, she’s finding it incredibly boring and before too long she’s back to tearing up and down the country, using her psychic abilities to solve a series of murders set to occur two years in the future.Mockingbird is rough, bloody and incredibly abrasive, but I still loved it! More about Miriam’s past is revealed through a series of interludes, which I really liked because it opened her up and made her more likeable. I also really liked Louis because of the development he goes through. Although he gets tougher and meaner, he also becomes more accepting of Miriam’s wild nature and realises the normal life isn’t for her. Readers also learn more about his deceased wife, and she ends up playing an integral role in the book (despite the inconvenience of being dead).The plot of Mockingbird is gripping, delivered in the sharp style that marks the Miriam Black books and peppered with black humour. The story is unpredictable and features twists and turns that had me on the edge of my seat. I particularly enjoyed many of the secondary characters, including some of the girls and teachers at the reform school Miriam goes to as a consulting psychic. The book also features great dialogue: Miriam continues to be insufferably foul-mouthed and flippant and throws around some of the wittiest one-liners ever.An awesome followup to Blackbirds, Mockingbird continues the story of Miriam Black and has been a welcome addition to my library. Although this series is definitely not for the faint hearted, I highly recommend this series to you if you think you can handle the blood, gore and foul language.A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.