Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Angel Fire: Angel Trilogy, Book 2

Angel Fire - L.A. Weatherly I liked Angel Fire more than Angel - which is saying something since I really enjoyed reading Angel. Weatherly proves once again that she can tell a wonderful story. I literally couldn't put this book down, the characters are engaging, the plot is tight and the surprises are wonderful and keep you hanging on. Willow's character is much more likeable in this book than in Angel, I feel she has grown and become a more mature person. She takes the bullying of the Angel Killers like an adult and handles her relationship with Alex with maturity rarely seen in young adult books. I don't mean that she doesn't make any mistakes and is above reproach, but she learns quickly from her errors and genuinely tries to keep her life together as best she can.The introduction of Sebastian predictably confuses Willow and causes upheavals in her relationship with Alex. Alex is immature about it all and acts in a manner unbecoming to a gentleman, but with the delicate emotions involved in a complex situation, I guess I shouldn't judge him too harshly. I don't like love triangles that are added into books just for tension, but at least this one is grounded in something real (Willow and Seb are the only known half-angels). Sebastian is a wonderful character and I think he would keep Willow really happy, but at the end of the day the love triangle didn't add anything to the story except angst between Willow and Alex, and deprived their relationship of an opportunity for growth. Angel Fire is a great sequel that lives up to the expectations laid down by Angel. I'm expecting Angel Fever will be an epic conclusion to this unique series, and look forward to reading it. If you haven't already, you should give this series a try: it really is something new and awesome.You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.