Speculating on SpecFic

Fantastic Literature: From epic fantasy to fairytales to myth-making

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - After waiting almost a year for it’s release I am pleased to say that Insurgent does not disappoint! As expected it is full of exciting Dauntless stunts, epic fight scenes and a lot of character development. At the end of Insurgent I was left, once again, in awe of the mastery Veronica Roth has over her plot line, characters and their experiences. My favourite aspect of the book is definitely the growth of Tris and Four’s relationship. The events at the end of Divergent saw them both going through a lot of trauma, and in this book they have to learn to push through it, accept it, and move on. Their struggles at communicating with one another effectively are realistic, their relationship is strained but they never doubt their feelings. It is great to finally see a YA couple who works out their issues instead of running to the nearest available alternative love interest. This book is well paced, with furious action scenes perfectly balanced by poignant moments of emotion. The plot line impressed me as well because, while it is relative simple, the author has put a lot of thought into the human motivations that drive it. My only disappointment in Insurgent is that in the first book there was some heavy foreshadowing that allowed me to guess the final twist, but to balance it out there were many other things that I failed to see coming until they were revealed. Veronica Roth has followed up her debut smash hit Divergent with a worthy sequel, that, in my mind at least, cements her as one of my favourite authors. If you loved Divergent, then Insurgent is a book you can’t miss! And if you haven’t picked up this series yet, you should be coveting it! You won’t regret your choice. You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic.